Remember the 60-second rule… because that’s all the time you have to create a winning first impression. Here are some simple yet significant ways to maximize your home’s appeal and bring in buyers.
- Keep the grass cut and remove all yard clutter.
- Weed and apply fresh mulch to flower beds.
- Apply fresh paint to wooden fences.
- Tighten and clean all door handles.
- Clean windows inside and out.
- Power wash home’s exterior.
- Ensure all gutters and downspouts are firmly attached and functioning.
- Paint the front door if needed.
- Buy a new welcome mat.
- Place potted flowers near the front door.
- Remove any furnishings that interrupt the flow of your home or makes the rooms appear smaller.
- Clean and organize cabinets, closets and bookshelves.
- Clean all light fixtures and ceiling fans.
- Shampoo carpets.
- Remove excessive wall hangings and knick-knacks.
- Repair all plumbing leaks, including faucets and drain traps.
- Make minor repairs (torn screens, sticking doors, cracked caulking).
- Clean or paint walls and ceilings.
- Replace/repair worn cabinets and door knobs.
- Fix or replace discolored grout.
- Replace broken tiles.
- Replace worn countertops.
Special details for showings
- Turn on all the lights.
- Open all drapes and shutters in the daytime.
- Remove pets or keep them secured away from buyers.
- Buy new towels for bathrooms.
- Buy new bedding for bedrooms.
- Replace old lamps or lampshades.
- Play quiet background music.
- Clean out the ashes in your fireplace.
- Set the dining room table for a fancy dinner party.
- Vacate the property while it is being shown.